Time for Lunch.

Labor Day, wow. Is summer already on the way out? I am particularly reluctant to let go of it this year, but luckily that is not dampening my excitement for a relaxing Labor Day weekend in the mountains. No phone, no TV, no internet. I'm already breathing a sigh of relief.

That said, coming back to the hustle and bustle will be made slightly easier by an event I am very excited about on Monday: an pot-luck "Eat-In" as part of Slow Food USA's Time for Lunch Campaign and National Day of Action. Across the country, people will be getting together for a community meal in the hope that, if enough people get involved, congress will take note as they approach the renewal of a bill that determines funding for school lunches. In other words, it's kind of like signing your name to a petition by hanging out with new friends and eating good food... Clearly, sounds like a good plan to me.


Now I know many of us enjoyed our high school lunches of french fries and soft serve, myself probably most of all, but for many kids who don't go home to my mom's cookin', a school lunch is potentially the only chance for a healthy meal each day. It's also an opportunity to make healthy eating patterns for life. President of Slow Food USA, Josh Viertel, explains it well here.


If you're interested click here for more information on an Eat-In near you, or to host one yourself (it's not too late!). And if you can't make it to an Eat-In, you can still get involved by signing the Time for Lunch Petition here.

Have a wonderful and safe weekend all!

No comments:

Post a Comment